Sunday, September 2, 2018

The Cuts Are Really In And….


The cut to 53 has come, but it probably hasn’t gone because what was left from Saturday’s cutdown leaves more moves to come to actually fill out the roster, but if there are not any changes then some of the positions have been left in a lurch. So let’s see how I did position by position.

Quarterback: 12 Aaron Rodgers, 9 DeShone Kizer, 8 Tim Boyle
For the first time since Ted Thompson took over (and he still has too much influence since he wasn’t fired) something announced out of 1265 Lombardi Avenue was totally true as far as personnel is concerned. They said they were going to keep all 3 quarterbacks and since I figured they were going to do that I picked all 3, while normally I would have picked just Aaron Rodgers and DeShone Kizer.

Running Back: 30 Jamaal Williams, 88 Ty Montgomery, (33  Aaron Jones will miss the 1st 2 games because of a suspension for performance enhancing drugs, so somebody will have to be cut when he returns).
This is one of the positions that needs adjustments. To start the season with just two running backs in a travesty and a danger, especially since Montgomery can’t stay healthy leaving just one running back. And if history is any indication Williams will get hurt. Leaving……who. Luckily when Eddie Lacy and James Starks went down two years ago Montgomery switched from wide receiver and did a good job. But as it turned out he wasn’t built to be a running back who gets hit every play. Like I said he is injury prone and has been injured this preseason. There is no one else on the roster that can play running back, so I guess if Williams gets hurt and Montgomery can’t play Rodgers will have to play in an empty backfield.

My picks for this position was to cut Montgmery and keep Joel Bouagnon, who looked good. I also cut LeShun Daniels and Bronson Hill, but since they left the position in such dire straits I would have also kept Daniels until Jones gets back.

Fullback:
Right there are also no fullbacks after Aaron Ripkowsk and Joe Kerridge were cut. I don’t understand not keeping a third running back if the Packers had decided to eliminate fullback. I cut Ripper and kept Kerridge.

Wide Receiver: 17 Davante Adams, 18 Randall Cobb, 81 Geronimo Allison, 11 Trevor Davis, 82 J’Mon Moore, 83 Marquez Valdes-Scantling, 19 Equanimeous St. Brown, 16 Jake Kumerow.
They kept 8 wide receivers and just 2 running backs. Just doesn’t seem right. I kept 6 and cut St. Brown and Davis. I felt St. Brown could be signed to the practice squad and Davis just doesn’t have much upside, except for speed, at wide receiver. He is the kick returner, but I felt someone else (Quinten Rollins, but he was also cut) could handle those duties.

Tight End: 80 Jimmy Graham, 84 Lance Kendricks, 89 Marcedes Lewis, 85 Robert Tonyan
I cut Lance Kendricks and kept just 3 tight ends. Not much more to say.

Offensive Tackle: 69 David Bakhtiari, 75 Bryan Bulaga, 78 Jason Spriggs, 70 Alex Light
I kept Kyle Murphy, but evidently he injured his ankle and was placed on injured reserve and then released with an injury settlement. Evidently his struggles were determined to be more structural instead of an injury hangover. I cut Light, but signed him to the practice squad. I’m not that thrilled about Spriggs, but he’s all we got.

Offensive Guard: 65 Lane Taylor, 64 Justin McCray, 74 Byron Bell
I kept Adam Pankey and cut Bell and  Kofi Amichia.

Center: 63 Corey Linsley, 62 Lucas Patrick
I kept Linsley and Patrick. I also cut Dillon Day and Austin Davis.

Place kicker: 2 Mason Crosby
Punter: 6 J.T. Scott
I kept both because there were no other kickers on the roster.

Long Snapper: 43 Hunter Bradley
I cut Bradley and kept Zach Triner more or less. Like I said I went off what the local kiss ass media said about who played better. But it seems, just like Ted Thompson, being drafted means more than talent. I hope Bradley works out.

Defensive End: 76 Mike Daniels, 96 Muhammad Wilkerson, 94 Dean Lowry, 90 Montravius Adams
I cut Lowry along with Conor Sheehy. One more thing evidently Daniels and Adams are now defensive ends instead of defensive tackles in the new Mike Pettine scheme.

Defensive Tackle: 97 Kenny Clark
I released James Looney and Tyler Lancaster, too, but kept Joey Mbu. I think the Packers need a bonifide nose tackle type. That leaves just two reserves on the formerly deep defensive line.

Outside Linebaker: 52 Clay Matthews, 53 Nick Perry, 93 Reggie Gilbert, 51 Kyler Fackrell,
I kept these 4 and also cut Vince Biegel, Chris Odom, Kendall Donnerson and Naashon Hughes.

Inside Linebacker: 50 Blake Martinez, 42 Oren Burks, 48 Antonio Morrison, 54 James Crawford
I cut Crawford and kept Ahmad Thomas. I also cut James Hearns and Marcus Porter.

Cornerback: 38 Tramon Williams, 20 Kevin King, 31 Davon House, 23 Jaire Alexander, 37 Josh Jackson, 26 Herb Waters
I cut Waters and kept Demetri Goodson and Quinten Rollins while also cutting Donatello Brown and Josh Hawkins.

Safety: 21 Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, 29 Kentrell Brice, 27 Josh Jones, 35 Jermaine Whitehead, 36 Raven Greene
I kept Clinton-Dix, Brice, Jones and Greene, but I cut Whitehead as well as Marwin Evans.

My final count: I got right 42 of 53 for a winning percentage of .792. I was wrong on releasing Ty Montgomery, Trevor Davis, Equanimeous St. Brown, Lance Kendricks, Alex Light, Byron Bell, Hunter Bradley, Dean Lowry, James Crawford, Herb Waters and Jermaine Whitehead and keeping Joel Bouagnon, Joe Kerridge, Kyle Murphy, Adam Pankey, Zach Triner, Joey Mbu, Admad Thomas, Demetri Goodson and Quinten Rollins.

UPDATE: My percentage on Week 2 of my high school picks improved from .684 (13-6) to .824 (14-3).

No comments:

Post a Comment