Saturday, September 19, 2015

Final Thoughts and Prediction on Seahawks Week

Packer Cheerleaders
I was sent an article about how Aaron Rodgers was the top quarterback in the league as decided by some pundit as though his opinion meant something to me. If I want someone's opinion the only people I would like to see what their opinion of Rodgers is Vince Lombardi (and he isn't talking these days) and Bart Starr (and sadly he isn't either). Beyond them the only opinion I care about is mine and I hope you feel the same.
 
I don't look at the subjective rankings by the 100 ex-football players that populate the airways these days because that is just their opinion based on nothing. Most of them just talk bullshit, especially Michael Irvin and Deion Sanders, who don't even get up to BS most of the time, just shit.
 
Aaron Rodgers. If I were to rank Rodgers right now I would look at cold hard stats, but after just one week even the stats don't mean anything because they are clouded by who they played in the only game that has been played.

Green Bay Packer Aaron Rodgers
Rodgers is currently ranked tied for first in interceptions, tied for second in TD passes, third in quarterback rating and 25th in yards. I think another factor in Rodgers' case was his lack of play in the pre-season, which manifested itself in having an ordinary first half against the Bears.
 
My next comment is hard for me to say for two reasons. First I am not a Cowboys fan for obvious reasons and second I am not a Peyton Manning fan for reasons I have stated many times. However watching Tony Romo and Manning this past week go on game-winning drives makes me want to see Rodgers do that more often. I think that is the one chink in his armor. He is not money in the bank as much as I wish he was. In the playoff loss Rodgers got us the game-tying field goal instead of the game-winning TD. Take that RC.
 
Wisconsin Badger Russell Wilson
Russell Wilson. In the short time he's been in the league he has been clutch. Except for his final pass in last year's Super Bowl all he's done is win. Against the Packers he has not only beaten Rodgers three times out of three times, but he has also been clutch. I will have to admit if Rodgers was playing against a Dom Capers defense he would be clutch too.
 
Wilson threw the winning touchdown pass in the Fail Mary game and in the playoff loss last season. He also threw for two touchdowns compared to one for Rodgers in last year's opening game 36-16 loss. One ironic note about last year's opening game. Derek Sherrod played right tackle in place of an injured Bryan Bulaga and he was beat like a drum. Sunday Don Barclay will be playing instead of an injured Bulaga. Rodgers can't throw if he's on the ground all the time.
 
So if head-to-head means anything Wilson is a better quarterback than Rodgers. I think in terms of when the game is on the line (and I know RC will hate this, which is a good thing) Wilson is better. It might have something to do with his coach or the players around him, but for whatever reason he has come through and Rodgers hasn't when they played the last two seasons.
 
One thing I hate to see is how most pundits are predicting the Packers are going to win Sunday. I wish they were picking against us. As far as my ability to pick games last night alone I was 11-1 in prep picks and for the last eight seasons I have been one of my newspaper's pickers I have a 76 percent success rate. So here is my prediction.
 
Offense: The Seahawks have gained one more yard than the Packers and that was against a very good defense. With Bulaga out I give the edge to the Seahawks.
 
Defense: The Seahawks have given up 50 less yards than the Packers and I think the Rams and the Bears have similar offenses. So it comes down to clutch and in that case a Dom Capers defense can't get off the field on third down and is totally terrible in the clutch, either at the end of the first half and at the end of the game. So I give the edge to the Seahawks.
 
Home Field Advantage: There is no home field advantage early in the season. Coach Mike McCarthy has to goad the Packers fans to be loud while the Seahawks have to tell their fans to tone it down.
 
So my best guess and I sincerely hope they are right and I am wrong is Seahawks 35-24.

No comments:

Post a Comment