Friday, September 15, 2017

The Offense Was Another Matter

The offense was “terrible” according to Aaron Rodgers in the first half last week and the second half “got a little bit going”. I agree with that for the most part.


Here’s Rodgers full statement he made to Erin Andrews after the game, “It’s just getting back out there and remembering there is some pain associated with this game. I haven’t played a whole game, in a while, so kind of get back into it. The first half was terrible. I didn’t play great. Second half we got a little bit going…and I was a little more efficient. First half I was off. I was making bad throws. I got out run by a defensive lineman, so I’m going to get into shape here and figure out when we’re going to get better.”

Combine those astute observations from the “Sage Laureate” of the United States with what running back Ty Montgomery said after the game, “I think I’ve got more. I think it was knocking some rust off. I definitely think I have more. I expect more from myself. I’ve got to be careful about putting my own expectations and goals out there, but there’s more.”

During the four games of the preseason Rodgers threw 13 passes and had 2 rushes while Montgomery had 6 carries and caught 2 passes. Now I will put the needle on a very old record I keep playing when I complain about lack of playing time for the starters during the preseason under Coach Mike McCarthy.

Last Sunday before the game another astute observer of the NFL scene Andrew Freeman was asked by me what he thought of the Packers and he immediately said without any prompting by me, “I don’t know. I haven’t seen the starters play much.”

Aaron Rodgers says he is out of shape and Ty Montgomery says he had to knock some rust off. Rodgers said his throws were off in the first half. I would wager if he had played half a game in the final three preseason games his passes would NOT be off target and he would be in better shape.

The Packers offense has two new receivers (tight ends Martellus Bennett and Lance Kendricks) to get integrated into the Rodgers Rhythm and a new right guard to kick the tires on to see if Jahri Evans has any tread left on his tires.

I watched Evans and he was also underwhelming. In the second half he started to grab and was caught holding twice. I think he may end up being another Jeff Saturday without much tread left on the tires. If he had played more in the preseason maybe the coaching staff might have a better idea of whether he is the answer at right guard. I can guarantee you T.J. Lang or Josh Sitton didn’t fade in the second half last week.

The bright spots were Kyle Murphy at right tackle in place of off-injured Bryan Bulaga and the play of Randall Cobb. Both players should have got game balls. Jordy Nelson looked good as did Davante Adams. I found it curious again that with the activation of Geronimo Allison all the local kiss ass media could write about was how he was going to impact the Falcons game. I’m sorry, but the “Big 3” did well and I don’t see how much playing time he will get as the fourth receiver, especially with Bennett playing a lot in the slot. I may be wrong.

Now coming into this week left tackle David Bakhtiari has a hamstring issue after hurting himself celebrating the victory over the Seahawks. The Packers are thin at offensive tackle with only Murphy behind them with both Don Barclay and Jason Spriggs injured. The Packers activated undrafted free agent Adam Pankey from the practice squad and if Bakhtiari can’t answer the bell he will be the starting left tackle.

Where is a Bruce Wilkerson or Ernie McMillian or Tootie Robbins when you need them? The hopes and dreams of the Packer Backers sits with Aaron Rodgers and leaving his out-of-shape body in the crosshairs of the opposing defensive ends and edge rushers with only an untested lower round draft pick with only three games under his belt not including the four preseason games and a undrafted rookie free agent is job malfeasance of the greatest order.

Just an aside for a second. I found it curious that the second rookie running back drafted Aaron Jones was an inactive while the other two Jamaal Williams and Devante Mays were active. Jones led the team in rushing during the preseason with 105 yards on 19 attempts (5.5) while Williams was underwhelming to say the least (61 yards on 25 attempts for 2.4 average) and Mays 43 yards on 16 carriers for 2.7) wasn’t much better. I still think Jones will end up being the starting running back. What might explain this is he may be another Jeff Janis, who is hated by the McCarthy.

I think the offense will get better as the season progresses and the starters get their feet under them. However, if Bulaga and Bakhtiari continue to have injury issues and Evans proves to be washed up the whole season could be in danger no matter how good the defense plays because the entire offense is built around the offensive line, an area Ted Thompson short-sheets every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment