Monday, September 4, 2017

How Did I Do?

I was right on 47 of the initial 53-man roster. I was wrong on WR Jeff Janis, G Lucas Patrick, T/G/C Don Barclay, OLB Jayrone Elliott, cornerback Ladarius Gunter and cornerback Lenzy Pipkins making the squad.

I was also right on the 25 offense, 25 defense and 3 special teams breakdown, but I was wrong on some of the particulars within the offense and defense.

Offensively, I was right on the money as far as Aaron Rodgers and Brett Hundley being the only 2 quarterbacks. The same on Ty Montgomery, Jamaal Williams, Aaron Jones and Devante Mays being the 4 running backs and Aaron Ripkowski the only fullback. And again on Martellus Bennett, Lance Kendricks and Richie Rogers being the 3 tight ends.

I was wrong about Taysom Hill being kept on the practice squad since the Saints claimed him on waivers like they did last with Joe Callahan. Callahan was later cut and returned to the Packers late in the season. Callahan was re-signed again to the practice squad although I still feel he is a not a viable option like Mike Flynn was as a competent fill-in if Aaron Rodgers goes down like he did in 2013 for eight games.

I was wrong on how many wide receivers were kept. I felt that 7 wide outs were going to be kept, but 5 was the actual number. I was right on Jordy Nelson, Davante Adams, Randall Cobb and Trevor Davis, but was wrong about DeAngelo Yancey and Max McCaffrey also making the squad and Jeff Janis being cut. 

McCaffrey is the latest example of Ted Thompson and the coaching staff blowing smoke up your skirt. He was the talk of training camp and he didn't even get a signed to the practice squad. Thompson loves to trick the media. So I was wrong twice about McCaffrey when they just let him go.

I also was wrong about Geronimo Allison making the initial 53 since he is on the suspended list for the first game. A move will have to be made when he comes off for the second game. Janis still might be cut at that time making me retro right.

I was sort of right about Yancey since he did get signed to the practice squad. I was absolutely right about Michael Clark being signed to the practice squad.

I was right on 8 of the 10 offensive linemen as far as David Bakhtiari, Bryan Bulaga, Kyle Murphy, Jason Spriggs, Lane Taylor, Jahri Evans, Corey Linsley and Justin McCray making the cut.

I was wrong on Lucas Patrick making the team because I had him back on the practice squad. I was also wrong on Don Barclay, for a couple of hours. I felt he would be put on injured reserve before the 53 and he was put on the IR after the 53. I feel McCray will be cut when Barclay returns.

Defensively, I was absolutely right about the defensive line (Mike Daniels, Kenny Clark, Dean Lowry, Christian Ringo, Ricky Jean-Francios and Montravious Adams) and at safety (Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Morgan Burnett, Josh Jones, Kentrell Brice and Marwin Evans). Although I had Jones listed as a cornerback.

I was right on 6 of the 7 linebackers (Clay Matthews, Nick Perry, Kyler Fackrell, Joe Thomas, Jake Ryan and Blake Martinez), but I was wrong on how many linebackers since I had Reggie Gilbert, Jordan Tripp and Ahmad Brooks (who for some reason didn’t sign his contract until after the 53 were established) also making the team for a total of 9 while Thompson kept 7.

Jayrone Elliott again made the team, instead of Gilbert. However, I was right about Elliott again by a couple of hours. After making the 53 he was traded to the Cowboys when Brooks officially signed his contract replacing him on the 53.

Thompson added another edge rusher when he claimed Chris Odom off waivers from the Falcons. He replaced Barclay on the 53 when he was put on IR.

At cornerback I was right on 5 (Davon House, Quinten Rollins, Damarious Randall, Kevin King, Josh Hawkins), but I didn’t retain Ladarius Gunter and the rookie Lenzy Pipkins. I liked Donatello Brown instead of Pipkins for a practice squad spot.

Here again I was right about Brown, since he was sighed to the practice squad. As far as Gunter is concerned I just forgot about him when I made my picks. I would have given his a spot, but since I didn’t I was wrong about him.


I. of course, was right on the 3 special teamers (Mason Crosby, Brett Goode and Justin Vogel. These picks were easy because they had no competition. Now I could still be wrong about Vogel like him getting cut this week the same wayTed Thompson did when he cut Jon Ryan in 2008 just before the 1st game in favor of Derrick Frost, a big mistake along the lines of Ron Wolf letting Craig Hentrich go in free agency 10 years earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment