Monday, August 31, 2015

My Defensive Cuts Are In

The final 35 cuts are due this week with 13 coming on Tuesday and the final 22 next Saturday. Here are my thoughts on the final defensive cuts and how the defensive roster with look going into the season opener at the Bears.
 
The defense has the biggest question marks going in and I don’t see a much different group than played last year. On the defensive line I would cut defensive end Khyri Thornton and nose tackles Bruce Gaston and Lavon Hooks.
 
That leaves Letroy Guion (suspended for the first three games) and Datone Jones (suspended for the first game) at left defensive end. Defensive coordinator Dom Capers seems to be preparing to use a two-man line early, so I wouldn’t keep one of those three until Guion comes back.
 
B.J. Raji and Mike Pennel will be at nose tackle with Pennel also available at left end. While Gaston has played well and often there is no room for him. I would try to sign him to the practice squad.
 
Right defensive end will be Mike Daniels, Josh Boyd and Christian Ringo. I am keeping Ringo and Boyd, for that matter, because both can play inside and Ringo has played well. Boyd hasn’t been as good as he was before being injured, but I think he still has an upside.

Clay Matthews is still listed at left outside linebacker on the Packers official depth chart and I think on opening day he will be lined up there with Andy Mulumba beating out Nick Perry behind him. So I’m cutting Nick Perry (he can’t stay healthy and Ted Thompson didn’t pick up his option for next year, so I think it’s time to let him go to another team and see if he finally live up to being a No. 1 draft pick). I also cut Adrian Hubbard and Jermauria Rasco. Hopefully Hubbard will be signed to the practice squad.
 
On the right side Julius Peppers and Mike Neal will return and I think Jayrone Elliott merits a spot, so I would cut James Vaughters. When Matthews plays inside Peppers and Neal start on the outside.
 
Inside Sam Barrington has shown some pass defense issues and he really hasn’t been the banger everyone thought he was last year. Nate Palmer was moved inside and really hasn’t taken off yet, but I will give Capers a pass on him to see how he develops.
 
Jake Ryan could end up starting next to Clay Matthews in the middle
Behind them are Carl Bradford and Jake Ryan. I would keep both and cut Josh Francis, Tavarus Dantzler and Joe Thomas. I think Ryan may eventually take over one of the inside spots and if Matthews ends up back in the middle then Barrington will end up like Brad Jones and Jamari Lattimore as a bust.
 
Casey Hayward might be beaten out by a rookie
Replacing Tramon Williams at left corner has been a problem in camp. Casey Hayward seems to have squandered his chance to be the starter by being shaky in coverage on the island. He has always been more suited to the slot, but Micah Hyde has been starting there. With Hyde going down with a neck spasm against the Eagles Hayward might be moved to the slot if Hyde can’t answer the bell against the Saints and/or Bears and that will give either No. 1 pick Damarious Randall or No. 2 Quinten Rollins or even undrafted rookie LaDarius Gunter their chance to grab the starting job. I wouldn’t be worried if any of those three is the starter. Not the best of situations, but Hayward has not nailed down that position and when Hyde returns he could be pushed to the bench altogether.
 
Right corner is Sam Shields and Gunter is listed behind him. So I would cut Kyle Sebetic (although I like him), Tay Glover-Wright, 2014 No. 7 draft pick Demetri Goodson and Ryan While.
 
The safeties are set with Morgan Burnett and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix. Behind them is an interesting situation. Sean Richardson could get cut, but I think he makes it one more time. Chris Banjo is back and I think he is trouble. Hyde also plays back there and I like Jean Fanor, so I think Banjo will be cut.
 
My final count on defense is 26 players: 7 linemen, 9 linebackers and 10 in the secondary.

No comments:

Post a Comment