Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Warren Sapp

I said I would get back to the current off-season maneuvers by Coach Mike McCarthy and General Manager Ted Thompson (although I guess I may have to wait for the draft to get any action out of Thompson), but another story caught my eye and I just have to comment about the trials and tribulations of one Warren Sapp.
 
I don't dislike many players I've never met who never did anything to me personally, but in the case of Warren Sapp I totally, down to my core, hate the man. I'm not a fan of Deion Sanders because of his immense ego and I do not like Michael Irvin (for his cocaine use and his huge and growing ego and the fact he got away with offensive pass interference every time he played the Packers - sometimes right in front of the refs - and the fact a cocaine addict was inducted into the Hall of Fame), but I don't hate them.
 
In the case of Warren Sapp I have no problem hating the man, so in my mind what has happened to him made me smile. If anyone deserves misfortune and ridicule Warren Sapp does.
 
For those of you who are new to Packers (at least new since Nov. 24, 2002) Warren Sapp blindsided Chad Clifton on an interception severely separating his pelvis. After the game Coach Mike Sherman made a point to confront Sapp and say "cheap shot, mother....." and Sapp responded, "If you're so tough put on a jersey." I had my problems with Sherman, but for what he did that day he will always be on my list of great men. As far as Sapp is concerned I agree with Sherman he's a "cheap shot artist" on the field and small man for many reasons off the field. And he's now proven me right.


 
Later on in an interview with the late great Steve Sabol on NFL Films he was asked what one play he would like to banish from his memory and he said, "I'd like to take the hit on Chad Clifton away and then that (the confrontation with Sherman)." Really.
 
I heard interviews right after the hit and for years later and never before had he ever said he felt bad about the play. I believe Sapp was just saying what Sabol wanted to hear. Add liar to his list of accomplishments.
 
Let's be fair the play was legal and he wasn't fined or disciplined in any way by the pre-Goodale NFL, but three years later it was made illegal. Here's what he said about the play before that Sabol interview.
 
Bob Wolfey from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel wrote an excellent article about the incident in 2012 with quotes taken from Sapp's book "I'm a Sapp", no that's just a joke the real title is "Sapp Attack" and here's the link to the fine article, http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/163770296.html
 
Sapp's whole explanation was not that he wanted the play to go away, but like the sapp he is he tells everyone, at first, "don't believe your lying eyes, believe what I'm telling you."
 

"On television it appeared like I came across the field and blindsided Clifton, who didn’t even look like he was in the play," Sapp writes. "And then I did a little dance to celebrate that hit. That’s what it looked like. . . . Basically, the impression was that I had mugged an innocent bystander."
 
"When a defense intercepts, "instinctively the first thing you do is look for someone to block," Sapp says. "When the team is looking at the game films the next morning, trust me, everybody is going to be watching to see who got the biggest hit on the interception. If you don’t hit someone after an interception you are going to be called out in that room. So you learn to hit anybody – hit a vendor if you have to. But hit somebody."

"Favre took one look at me and started running straight for the sideline" because "he knew that the safest place for him was out of bounds, where he wasn’t going to get hit, and would survive to pass again."

"When Favre took off for the hills I looked for Clifton, and I spotted him on the side of field, but he wasn’t running, he was loafing after the play," Sapp writes. "I was disappointed. I had nobody to hit."
 

"Right after the interception Clifton was not in the frame – he was loafing," Sapp says. "After Brian made a couple of moves I figured Clifton had to be chasing him. That’s when I looked toward the sideline and saw him la-di-da’ing. The man was on the field of play in a National Football League game. He was a potential tackler. There is a reason my position is called defensive tackle rather than defensive blocker or defensive talker – my job is to hit people. So I hit him. Hit him good, the way I had been taught; the way he would’ve hit me if he had the opportunity. I saved Chad Clifton $1,500 for not being in the frame (meaning the Packer coaches would have fined Clifton for not trying to tackle the interceptor).
 
"People complained that he was out of the play when I hit him. Except that’s not the way football works. On an interception return the only people out of the play are on the sidelines or in the stands (didn't he say he would hit a vendor if he couldn't find someone on the field to hit). If he was on the field, he was in that play. I didn’t realize I was supposed to be kind to him. He was loafing across the field. After I hit him I celebrated. . . . I did not know he was hurt when I celebrated."

I don't see any contriteness in these statements. He said he received death threats after the game and yet he still wasn't sorry for the hit. He said he heard Clifton wanted him to call in the hospital, but all he can say about those hits, including one where he tore up Jerry Rice's ankle and Rice wanted him to call and apologize, "Apologize? You don’t apologize for a clean hit. I had absolutely nothing to apologize for, but I was very sorry (Rice) was hurt."
So there you go with a history lesson and now to current actions from Warren Sapp. During Super Bowl week Sapp commissioned two hookers before the game and after they arrived to begin the disgusting (only because they were to have sex with Sapp) transaction (it's unclear if this happened before or after the disgusting ace) he decided to renegotiate the terms and things got heated and he assaulted them. That's it in a nutshell.
 
Now that I think about it I'm guessing it happened after sex was had because they could have just walked away if he was trying to cheat them before the act. To their credit they didn't just slink off into the night, but they reported the incident to the police. And they got arrested for their trouble. Poor Sapp. He pissed off the wrong two hookers.
Sapp had been an on-air personality with NFL Network since 2008 and a 2013 inductee into the NFL Hall of Fame. Soon thereafter he was fired from the NFL Network, but don't hold your breath about being removed from the Hall of Fame considering O.J. Simpson (murder) and Lawrence Taylor (child prostitution) are still members in good standing.
 
And this is not his first brush with the law since being with NFL Network. In 2010 he was arrested for domestic battery, but the charges were dropped by his now ex-wife (refer to yesterday's post). He was also arrested earlier in 2014 for another domestic battery complaint.
 
Now to women and money Sapp owes them. He owes over $3 million dollars to his now ex-wife (mother of his two official children) for domestic support and has only paid her $8,236.85 to date. According to TMZ he evidently has five other baby mamas and he was trying to lower his child support payments with one of them after he went bankrupt in 2012. Sound familiar about renegotiating with women.
 
What man makes a deal with a woman for whatever and then try to change the deal and beat them up when they don't agree. I think we've answered that question and his name is Warren Sapp.
 
It seems people can't wait to comment on Sapp being fired. Many of his former workmates are glad he's gone (off the record, of course, because he might want them to put on a jersey and fight him).
 
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy (LOL). I don't apologize for cheering when the NFL Network finally fired him. I don't apologize for loving the situation he finds himself in (no woman would have sex with him unless he pays them. It could be he's that small man I mention earlier). I don't apologize for wishing he doesn't recover and can't another job. Remember I hate him.
 
So now it seems the cows have come home and what goes around comes around. Warren Sapp look in the mirror and see what you have wrought. You only did it to yourself when you can't find anyone to listen to your lies any more or feel sorry for you. I'm really liking that. And I don't apologize for having a smile on my face today.

No comments:

Post a Comment