Sunday, February 15, 2015

FROM THE SUBLIME TO THE RIDICULOUS, PART ISA

This will be my 10th post since starting this enterprise and to celebrate this event you get lucky. Every 10th post will be a hodgepodge of interesting (hopefully) little tidbits of stories around (and sometimes very far around) and about the Green Bay Packers.
 
So to begin what from now on will be called "From the Sublime to the Ridiculous" is a story about a couple who bought a genuine Vince Lombardi sweater at a thrift shop for $.58. I would call that sublime.



The Sublime
It seems a man named Sean McEvoy from North Carolina was watching a documentary on Vince Lombardi when he noticed Coach Lombardi was wearing a sweater that looked like one they had purchased from a local thrift shop. The wife remembered a name tag and it turned out it was that sweater and it was appraised at $20,000. The only decision they have to make is to sell it on ebay or donate it to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Why can't I be that lucky? I can tell you I don't buy clothes at thrift shops. Maybe I should begin to? But maybe not I'm not that lucky.


 
R.I.P. NFL Films creator Ed Sabol at the age 93 on Feb. 9th and his son Steve Sabol in 2012 at the age 69 of brain cancer. It was through the vision of Ed and his son and the golden tones of the "Voice of God" John Facenda, who died in 1984 and Harry Kallas, who passed away in 2009, that the NFL became a billion dollar industry.
 
But to me it was the chronicling of the history of the league and the invaluable footage of the founding owners, coaches and players that made and make what NFL Films does a national treasure. I only hope grandson Casey is the keeper of the flame like Steve was when he took over in 1985. Time to turn your cameras on Heaven and send us that unforgettable footage.



The Ridiculous
Now onto the ridiculous. The Packers are raising ticket prices. The endzone seats are going up $3 to $80 depending upon the seat location and the seats between the 20's are going up $5 to $105. And in case any of you are rich the Lambeau Field suite seats are also going up $5 to $105. CEO Mark Murphy says the Packers will rank 18th in the NFL just below the average. Good for them.
 
I understand business is business. But since MLB has priced their tickets out of the range of their former audience (there doesn't seem to be any $2 bleacher seats available any more) - (so now you can figure out how old I am) - I think the Packers need to realize where they are and who their loyal fans are. I hope they don't get greedy and price everyone out of a chance to attend a game at the Shrine.
 
I know I'm behind the times and an old fuddyduddy and nobody, and I mean nobody, has asked my opinion on the matter even though I am a stock holder (owner) or now that I think about maybe they did and I didn't show up. I think I might just have to show up at the next stock holder meeting this summer. So never mind. I can't complain if I don't participate. See at the next board meeting and then they'll hear from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment