Tuesday, January 8, 2019

The Packers Have Hired a New Coach…..Really You Packers.com Readers


Those Packer Backers who get their news from anywhere else than Packers.com (it is 12:41 a.m. January 8, 2019 when I write this and the word came down from the real world about the hire about 8 hours ago on January 7) know the Packers have hired a new head coach. The new man is Matt LaFleur the offensive coordinator of the Tennessee Titans. I have no trouble with this hire because the powers that be took my advice and hired a young hot-shot assistant instead of an old retread or that well known flake Josh McDaniels, which was one of the others the Packers interviewed. UPDATE: It is now 3:34 p.m. on January 8th and still no announcement on Packers.com. 


I actually don’t know much about LaFleur, and if I relied on Packers.com I would know nothing about him or even know he was hired (it needed to be said again. I have said many, many times before that the absolutely last place I go for breaking news or any news during any given day is Packers.com).

Back on track after that unsolicited commercial for Packers.com LaFleur is 39 years old (4 years old than Aaron Rodgers) and has been an assistant coach for 16 years. After graduating from Saginaw Valley State where he was the quarterback for 3 years leading the Cardinals to the Division II playoffs each year he hired on with the Cardinals football team in 2003 as an offensive assistant and this was only the start of a whirlwind tour of 9 towns in 15 years.

And here we go: 2004-05 (Central Michigan offensive assistant), 2006 (Northern Michigan quarterbacks and wide receivers coach), 2007 (Ashland offensive coordinator at 28 years old), 2008-09 (Houston Texans quality control assistant), 2010-13 (Washington Redskins quarterbacks coach), 2014 (Notre Dame quarterbacks coach), 2015-16 (Atlanta Falcons quarterbacks coach), 2017 (Los Angeles Rams offensive coordinator), 2018 (Titans offensive coordinator and play caller). Whewwww. Talk about frequent flier miles.

Evidently twitter has been busy with comments from the Packer Backers around the country who get their news from real outlets (like I said it needs to be said), but after seeing the poll Packernet has been running about whether you want to see Defensive Coordinator Mike Pettine hired as head coach, retained as Defensive Coordinator or it doesn't matter either way (as you can see it doesn’t ask if you want him fired, so the poll is cooked and crooked and setting up a preconceived result (the last time I looked after LaFleur was hired because the poll is still up it was 6% for head coach, 68% defensive coordinator and 26% it doesn't matter either way). Let me give you that have a brain and are not brainwashed by the local kiss-ass media or the Packers organization or if you’re a Tedder who believes every lie ever fed them some actual facts. Mike Pettine’s defense finished the season ranked 22nd in points allowed and 18th in yardage. Here’s another fact when Mike McCarthy was fired the defense was ranked 17th in points and 13th in yards. Oh I forgot what I was saying I didn’t read the twitter feeds because I know what they said, “the hiring was great”. It’s well known fact Packer fans love anything the Packers front office does since 2010, at least, so their opinions mean nothing to me. I want to hear from people with a brain and not parrots.

On to another sore subject with me. Evidently there was a reason the assistant coaches weren’t fired after the Lions game debacle. It has been reported, but not on Packers.com (Oops I did it again) that Pettine and his entire defensive staff will be retained. I think a new head coach should be allowed to hire his own staff, but that evidently happens everywhere but in Green Bay.

Last word on Pettine and his band of merry men. I saw every game the Packers played this season and evidently saw a different game than the 68 percenters because what I saw was a defense than couldn’t get off the field most of the time, a defense that left receivers wide open down the middle, a defense that couldn’t make a stop when it was crucial or in simpler words Dom Capers defense for the last 8 seasons. Why in the world would we want that to continue, but this is Green Bay where the real world never intrudes on the fantasy world the Packers have wrapped themselves in because while he’s still in the building it is Ted Thompson’s world of lies, half truths and wishful thinking where CEO Mark Murphy sees no evil, Ted Thompson hears no evil and the monkey media speaks no evil.

But back to LaFleur. I wish him luck with one arm tied behind his back. I guess Pettine only reports to Murphy now. He seems to be a quarterback whisperer having made silk purses out of a wide group of sow’s ears (Jared Goff, Matt Ryan, Kirk Cousins, Robert Griffin III, Donovon McNabb, Marcus Mariota, DeShone Kizer and Matt Schaub). He coached Kizer when he was quarterback at Notre Dame. I hope he knows his stuff and can relate to Aaron Rodgers and help him correct whatever went wrong with him this year.

Like I said I have no problem with the hiring of LaFleur, since he does seem to be a hot-shot and he definitely is young and that was what I wanted in the new coach and not a retread or one or two time losers. I also wanted Gregg Williams to be hired as Defensive Coordinator, but NOOOOOO Murphy’s new love interest is Pettine. I also want Adam Gase to be hired as Offensive Coordinator and maybe that still might happen. Fingers crossed.

Well there you go. It is now 1:49 a.m. and, of course, Packers.com hasn’t posted anything on the hiring yet (one last time, at least in this post). It’s half a new day in Green Bay. I guess the best I could hope for was half a loaf and since nobody asked me I will have to be satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment